Not going to lie one of the hardest things about living with a disease is how your family reacts.
Now most would like to believe that family are uber supportive & attentive when you get sick. The sad reality is for most of us this is not the case. Add the fact that diseases are often chronic & debilitating lasting decades & you hit a sweet spot for a less than supportive family. Make the disease invisible & you are almost set up for huge disappointment.
I know there are folks out there with families that are top notch. However as someone who lives with the community & dedicates herself to help others I can tell you without question family is often the #1 problem for the community I serve.
For me the key to kicking Multiple Sclerosis (MS) to the curb comes from diet and lifestyle choices. Eating whole foods as a Wahls Warrior coupled with yoga, meditation & healthy relationships are the core principles of being the miracle known as PaleoBOSS Lady.
- Would you believe me if I told you more than 75% of those making choices regarding diet & lifestyle to get healthy are not supported by families?
- Would you believe me if I told you most families expect to be fed a traditional toxic American diet while the one suffering eats whole foods alone?
- Would you believe me if I told you most family members do not believe or support diet & lifestyle changes can create a healing platform for their loved ones?
- Would you believe me if I told you many families take active steps to sabotage the efforts of those suffering?
It deeply saddens me that this all to often is the case. Families are like you do whatever you want, but I am out.
- Imagine how that would make you feel?
- Imagine the message it sends to loved ones who are suffering?
- Imagine how powerful your actions stand to jeopardize a loved ones ability for healing?
Touring the USA living with strangers I have seen & heard it all. Nothing shocks me anymore.
I have to admit even with my own TEDx sharing how family & culture plays a role in this process never did I think the universal standard would be that families simply do not support diet & lifestyle changes.
My heart breaks for this reality. For successful change to happen it rests in those suffering. Sad, but true.
What do I mean?
- If you live in a family unit & prepare the meals ALL participate with dietary changes inside the home.
- If you have children feed them exactly how you eat.
- If you are in a committed relationship your partner must support these changes when engaged with you.
- If you entertain you only offer options that support your journey.
- If you have a pantry it needs to be compliant to your wishes. Bye bye dueling pantries.
These changes show ownership of your commitment to heal. Without putting these in place your attempts are simply conversation for almost 99% of us because sustaining a healthy life becomes nearly impossible.
So often I hear from those suffering that they can't expect their kids to do this. I call bullshit.
- If you are not willing to demand support for your wellness journey than you are lying to yourself about how much you believe in diet & lifestyle to heal.
- If you are not willing to demand support from your family than you are making a half ass attempt to heal.
- If you are not willing to have a serious conversation with your loved ones about the changes needed to heal you have not begun to own your role in living with disease.
Now don't get your panties in a bunch because I am telling you the hard truth about making diet & lifestyle changes to live your BAM life.
Simply own the fact that just like in everything if you don't commit 100% you are only setting yourself up for failure & your own commitment level is not on point. In addition, if you really believe in the path you are taking toward conscious living how could you ever consider allowing loved ones to continue the 'toxic' way of eating?
When I cleaned out my pantry I personally struggled to give the items from my pantry that were identified as toxic to others. I felt if I would not eat it why would I give it to someone else?
I ask how could your children eat one way & you the other once you get conscious?
Once you embark on the journey of consciousness regarding food to heal & support a wellness journey it is a family/household affair. Not something for only those suffering to embark on.
If you alone only commit to this than I questions the toxicity of your relationships & also the authenticity of your intentions. Loved ones who do not support you don't believe in your path & willingness to go it alone shows you too might have doubts.
Miracle status starts with believing 100% you are on the right path, totally awake in life & have community support. Without these things it is simply conversation.
The current status quo is that often families are not supporting dietary changes when someone needs to use food as medicine and this plan sucks & it is time we all woke up & understood what this truly means.
Not subscribed? This means you could miss the next hair raising post which would be very sad.
Join the tribe today & up your volume.