By: V Capaldi Not going to lie it took me a few years of living a conscious life regarding food, movement and mindfulness before I started to look at the products I used in my home. Little did I know I was continuing to expose my body to high levels of carcinogens. In 2012 the Environmental Working Group (EWG) released a list of the most toxic chemical ridden house cleaning products and even those that say natural and safe are not.
Did you know that over 50% of household products contain harmful ingredients? Many of them carcinogens?
People ask me all the time about my road to health and miracle life status. As a Wahls Warrior I am very strict about what foods enter my body and eat supporting my cellular health. However food is one part of the equation. Lifestyle and day to day choices are the reason for my miracle status. My life is 100% conscious. There is nothing that happens in a day without thought and conscious awareness.
Questioning the status quo is ultimately responsible for my miracle life.
I find it harder and harder to keep my mouth quiet about the level of toxic exposure I see in what people eat, products they use in their home and on their body. In 2015 I made it my business to find products that were safe, effective and did not break the bank. This effort is not easy and I learned the hard way once again that packaging lies. My entire house was filled with store brand 'green products' where once I scratched the surface I learned these were marketed to me based on lies.
This blog post is to help you navigate how to detox your home!
Top Toxin List:
- Triclosan: Most hand soaps labeled 'antibacterial" which is a probable carcinogen
- Phthalatese: Anything fragrant even toilet paper
- Perchloroethylene: Spot and stain removers
- Quarternary Ammonium Compounds: Fabric softeners
- 2-Butoxyethanol: Cleaners from kitchen to window
- Ammonia: Cleaners for bathroom & kitchen
- Chlorine: Mildew removers, whiteners and drinking water
- Sodium Hydroxide: Oven and drain cleaners
Top 5 De-Toxic Cleaning Tips:
- Vinegar: This is a great household cleaning product that is non-toxic, cost effective and gets the job done. Add to a bucket of warm water to mop floors to a sparkle. Use with newspaper on windows for a wow moment.
- Essential oils: Vinegar, warm water & add a few drops to a spray bottle and get busy all around the home!
- Tea Tree oil is my go too for killing germs and keeping my house on point.
- Lavender oil is my fragrance maker and adds calming effects all over my house. Great to spritz on your pillow before bedtime too.
- Peppermint oil keeps the bugs away in a healthy wonderful smelling way.
- Baking soda: This can make a powerful cleaning paste to help get out tough stains from ovens, toilet bowls and tile.
- Lemon: Add to warm water for a great kitchen and appliance cleaner. Love to clean my refrigerator using this mixture
- Bon Ami: Coconut and palm oil cleaner that works great and keeps my sinks and tubs shining bright.
It would be great to think all of you are now going to completely change how you care for your house and begin many DIY projects to make that happen. If in case this does not happen I am happy to report I have done the hard work for you and identified products I can 100% stand behind to use safely in your home, with your family and yourself. Grab Green: These products clean effectively, safely and are perfect in every way. I have been testing them since October 2015 and have not been disappointed at all.
Here are my TOP 5 Grab Green Picks:
Garbage Disposal LOVING: I know you can do a lemon, but I live in a rental and even when I owned never really trust the disposal for hard core skins like lemon. I even had a disposal that was supposed to chew a penny and it made terrible noises when I put lemon down. These are my soft, fluffy sweet smelling toxin free alternative. Love once a week showing the disposal some loving.
Laundry Pod POW: They get the job done and what I like the most is the shit dissolves people. OMG I am so over getting my clothes out of the laundry with detergent clumps. You know what I am talking about. I live where my laundry does not even offer hot water or warm and these suckers work magic. I get unscented and highly recommend this. My kid I gave a set of stuff at Christmas to open her mind to a toxic house and she loves this and even commented. Which is saying something.
Bleach Alternative BAM:Okay remember I am a 5 STAR **** rated Cozymeal chef?!?! Well part of my job is washing aprons. White freaking aprons after folks have been in a cooking competition which often they have no idea they are coming too. Wine has been involved all, but one class too. These suckers come to me looking like a war was fought. Which it kind of was, but I digress. Damn it. Any who! White, sparkling and good as new every time with this action happening. Jump on this shit and say bye bye bleach or I will hunt you down. It is so toxic. (Funny small picture here due to being 100% technically challenged. Double damn it.)
Dish Soap DYNAMITE: This shit lathers! It really does. I hate to admit but the toxic free stuff typically doesn't and I miss the bubbles. Those tiny bubbles are the fun of dish washing. I do not have a dishwasher and can tell you that when you teach food for a living it sucks when you do not have bubbles. I digress again. Grease cutting, wonderful smelling and a bubble making BAM for this dish soap.
Long story short it is time to really start questioning the status quo regarding your home and what you are exposing yourselves too. The risk you are taking to be clean! Go outside and roll in the dirt. That is how I am living life OUTSIDE!