By: V Capaldi Not much amazes me with my liberal anything goes hippie lens, but this one really does. Most of society wake up to the sound of an alarm and hate it. Even if it is their favorite song, the smell of coffee it does not matter the mere sound of something telling you 'it's time to wake up' is met with dread. Yet we still do this day in and day out.
Society and consumer driven ideal's have tricked us into thinking our favorite song or the 'snooze' feature is the cure.
Why not train your body to wake up each day when you need it too? What a concept right?
It can be done and I am certain many other than me have done and are doing this. A favorite professor I had in my BA studies shared he vowed NEVER to wake from an alarm and I thought shit I like that idea, but how the heck do I do it? Who does that? Well after years of trial and error this gal does that! #BAM
Like shaving my hair this is one of the most liberating things I have ever done!
Lets get started:
- Higher Purpose: Freaking have a reason to wake up that you love! Can we all just please start here! Define your higher purpose and live a life driven with that goal always in the mind's eye. Long gone of the days of autopilot living. With a global world that is technology driven we can all pretty much define our lives by location, desires and purpose. If you have not begun this process I would recommend a few of my former blog posts to help support your journey:http://paleobosslady.com/vision-board-to-reality-in-5-easy-steps/ and http://paleobosslady.com/how-to-meditate-in-5-easy-steps/
- Love the sun and moon. Literally begin to adjust your life to the cycles of the sun and moon: a circadian rhythm. This allows your body to start automatically producing the hormones you need based on light and darkness. Establish a rhythm to life and sleeping that mirrors the sun rise and set always accounting for seasons and cycles. In the winter I personally sleep later as the sun comes up later. Spring I will gradually transition to earlier mornings.
- Mindfulness: Listen folks you cannot outrun the need for this in your damn life. Stop focusing only on food & fitness & ignoring mindfulness. There are so many ways to make this happen with all of them as always defined by you. Work in the garden, go fishing, take a walk, light a candle and even do nothing giving conscious thought to simply nothing. You must create space for this to happen.
- Trust and be patient. It has taken me about 18 months of real dedicated work where I finally have 'no back up alarm' set. Just in case I used to set one, but my body adjusted even for those rare 4am flights I sometimes have to take. Amazing to even consider this reality, but it is true so once I knew that no more alarm was needed no matter what I chose to rely on pure faith only & it is working. I am officially waking up real cave man style now I guess.
- Blue ray blockers: Invest in amber googles and consider setting stop periods for blue light exposure before bed. This is a hard thing to incorporate and yet I tell you the benefits for sleep, reading and down time are HUGE! Jump on this shit and make it a part of your life no matter what. Stop the sleep aid pill popping madness and own you shit by trying this on for size.
- Get moving: Make sure you are moving every damn day. Somehow time has to be dedicated to movement. Your body needs it to function properly and it also is a helpful sleep aid. Get moving if you are not already. Start with 5 minutes and build steps that are sustainable and real.
We all know the best things in life take time like a fine wine, a first kiss and some of the best things need to be 'nurtured' to happen properly. Once you cross the 'bye bye alarm clock' chasam you will be proud every time you wake up! This truly is an amazing life changing achievement and narrative flip. Get some and #upYOURvolume
Love what I say?
Think I am full of shit?
Learn some new idea?
Whatever it is please consider subscribing to my blog & let us get conscious together. BAM!