There are few times in life you meet people and you know from the moment of introduction you know they are 'good people.' A few years ago I was at a party thrown by the founder of Tin Star Foods and I met Sadie & John the founders of Otto's Cassava Flour and knew from the word go they were 'good people' as my grandmother would say.
Hearing the company was named after their son Otto confirmed my gut feeling.
I have decided to give up nuts for 90 days at some point in 2018. I have terrible allergies that we cannot seem to get under control. Allergies are an autoimmune issue and I am committed to changing the severity of my allergies. I am allergic to mold and many nuts are prone to mold. So nuts gone for 90 days will happen. Until this becomes reality I will be working hard to find replacement foods that support me mentally and physically during the transition.
As luck would have it cassava flour is not only gluten and grain free it is nut free. BAM.
I have been working on the menu list for the tours cooking classes and knew I needed menu idea's that were nut free. Grateful Otto's Naturals Cassava Flour makes it easy. I have been busy in the kitchen these last few weeks and decided to try a cinnamon breakfast bar recipe using Otto's.
Luckily I am living with a friend who was more than happy to be my taste tester and we could not decide on one recipe so I will share two versions: a paleo and primal.
The difference in the two versions involves using grass-fed butter or Ghee.
Believe it or not the texture and taste is quite different. Me and my friend Clair agreed that both were worthy of sharing. You will have to be the judge as to which you like better. Enjoy and report back.
Thank you Sadie, John and Otto for making my healing transition delicious and easy using your Cassava Flour. I am pleased to say that Otto's has joined the tour as a sponsor and is helping support the community I serve. BAM.
This recipe was adapted from Back Porch Paleo's Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes
CINNAMON BREAKFAST BARS
- 1 cup of Otto's Natural's Cassava Flour
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 4 tbsp of Nutiva coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup of ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1/4 cup The Date Lady date paste
- 3/4 cup of full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, ghee or butter, egg and date paste in a bowl using a mixer blend well until creamy. Next add coconut milk mixing well. Note mixture will be thick.
- Grease a square 8 inch pan and place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until done.
- Once out of the oven mix the remaining coconut sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle on warm bars. These bars are delicious hot or room temperature. The texture changes based on temperature and both are BAM.