By: PaleoBOSS Lady® #PBL It is that time of year where many finds themselves down in the dumps struggling with winter depression. I have lived with family members that struggle merely due to the cycles of the sun and the moon every year no matter what. Depression is real and affects more of us than not. Sadly our hurried lives create an almost perfect storm all the time for depression to foster existence. #damnit
I was reminded of a blog post I wrote after obtaining my Masters degree:
"For the last 15 days I have becoming more and more depressed. This coming from someone who in 51 years only has identified with depression once and that was when my life became disabled and my partner walked out!
Last week when visiting with my therapist I cried from the moment I walked in the room. I have been feeling overwhelmed and on an emotional roller coaster. Asking myself over and over again, "What are you doing with the 30+ hours weekly you have free now? Basically having the "What am I going to do with my life now that I graduated conversation!"
Saturday while spending the day with my daughter I literally told her at least 10 times I was struggling emotionally. This type of conversation never happens with this mom/PaleoBOSS Lady because I am a rock damn it! Not this day…" #PBL
A little more than 3 weeks left of a winter everyone! Except for those of us in California the winter has had most of the country in below zero temperatures. I am sure physical and mental wellness are being tested for many and this blog is an effort to help.
5 Steps to Fight Winter Blues:
1. Community! Do not kill the messenger and if there is one thing you will learn is that community is the foundation for everything good in life. Without it you cannot and will not manifest your reality. Sorry but this is the truth! Identify a community and make it part of your life. If you are a dog person find a dog community, play cards find a card club, love to walk find a walking group and so on…Just pick one and JUMP IN!
2. Get moving! YUP! Move your body with focused intention in some way everyday! Listen I know we are all busy I also know we are talking optimal living here and if you are not moving you are not living. Movement can be as simple as saying good bye to elevators, parking further from an entrance, walking around the block after lunch/dinner. Whatever it is identify it, commit and move your body!
Dancing always is a great idea and nothing better than this to get things started!
3. Meditate. Studies have shown time and again that meditation offers only goodness, costs nothing and is a universal healthcare tool. Yet almost all of us discount its power which for me speaks to the power of big business. Hence I am drawn to this practice even more!
Everyone can find a meditation practice that works to support a healthy outcome. Meditation is not limited to sitting cross legged and not moving. Allow yourself to explore all different types and forms of practice until you find the one that fits into your "Bag of Tricks."
4. Journaling. The traditional rules of journaling do not apply to the life of a BOSS Lady with limited hand use. I use an app called TimeHop which serves as journal for me. TimeHop sends me a daily email of all social media posts I have made for like 5 years. Literally this is therapy for me and my idea of journaling…today.
Journals are an evolution and have changed each year, but always serving as a record of where I was mentally & physically at that moment. You can write them, draw, paint, type grow what ever works for you is a journal you just have to be able to recall the moment when needed.
5. Eating & sleeping matters. When you are down food becomes a drug and sleep can be either too much or too little. PAY attention and commit to eating clean and optimal sleeping hours!
The internet and social media offer so many tools to empower all of us regarding both of these topics & can reflect each of personal needs if we look. I like to eat Paleo and my sleeping patterns follow the cycles of the sun. Whatever it is identity your relationships with both and make it a focus of your daily life to eat clean and get some rest!
One of the healthiest things you can do is drink bone broth daily. I call it liquid gold!
Check out my recipes for Bone Broth that my friends at Breaking Muscle helped me to share:
To create change one has to pick a starting point. Riding the wave of life is the optimal reality however not sustainable. Our bodies are powerful creatures and we often need to help them to live optimally. As you know I believe in slow and steady wins all life changes so maybe pick one and start there. Just start! #doubledamnit
If you got this far than you need to subscribe to my blog. The end.
Thank you and I so appreciate your support. It is the ground on which I stand!